Toxic Jewelry?

A new study warns parents about cadmium - a toxic metal commonly used in children's costume jewelry.

First, it was lead.

Now, a new study says that cadmium – a metal commonly used in children’s costume jewelry – is far more dangerous if accidentally swallowed.

Hartford Hospital’s Dr. Charles McKay, Director of Toxicology, is quoted in an ABC News story today on this topic. He says it’s ironic: toy and jewelry manufacturers aren’t using lead anymore, but are instead using cadmium, which is much more toxic and isn’t regulated.

So what are parents to do? Doctors suggest avoiding cheap costume jewelry, try to keep toys out of our children’s mouths, and — as much as possible — be careful when buying toys manufactured overseas.

What do you think? Are you concerned about your kids’ toys? We want to hear from you!

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Hartford Hospital, In the News, Safety, Toxicologist. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

w

Connecting to %s