First, it was lead.
Now, a new study says that cadmium – a metal commonly used in children’s costume jewelry – is far more dangerous if accidentally swallowed.
Hartford Hospital’s Dr. Charles McKay, Director of Toxicology, is quoted in an ABC News story today on this topic. He says it’s ironic: toy and jewelry manufacturers aren’t using lead anymore, but are instead using cadmium, which is much more toxic and isn’t regulated.
So what are parents to do? Doctors suggest avoiding cheap costume jewelry, try to keep toys out of our children’s mouths, and — as much as possible — be careful when buying toys manufactured overseas.
What do you think? Are you concerned about your kids’ toys? We want to hear from you!